Our two little ones have been keeping things busy for us in the emergency department this month. At the beginning of the month Finley squirted Tuck in the eyes and mouth with Windex. Apparently it is more dangerous to have Windex in your eyes then to ingest it. A fifteen minute bath (rinsing out his eyes), a few eye drops and some milk from mom and crisis solved.
Then last night Tucker started choking right before dinner on what we thought might be a Hot Tamale (candy) and stopped breathing long enough for me to frantically scream for Chad's help. We ended up calling 911 and while waiting for help (which happened to be a fire truck and crew... wow) Tuck began to breath again. The firemen listened to his breathing and said that his airway sounded great and left. An hour later he was still choking so I called his doc who said to rush him to the ER. 3hrs, 2 x-rays, 1 pediatric Ear Nose and Throat specialist, and a lot of tears later, we had our happy and healthy baby boy back in our arms again.
* The culprit: He choked on a pine needle shaped object about 1-inch long. The needle lodged itself horizontally in his throat. It had tiny barbs on either end and every time his throat constricted the needle would squeeze tighter into the muscle. Poor guy.
Favorite lines from the night.
"He's gonna be OK. I know Amy because I am an Eagle Scout." (Chad's response to me calling 911)
Doctor: "Are his lips always this big and puffy?"
Me: "Uh, yes."
Finley every so often during our 3 hr ER stay would stick her head out of the curtain separating us from the nurses station and say;
"He really crying."
"He really choking."
"He really sad."
"He really dying."
She was a vigilant bedside nurse.




15 comments:
what a freaking nightmare. Henry (3) just had e.coli. But at least I didn't get the eagle scout line.
I am so sorry! Sounds like no fun at your house. Did you see Hill updated her blog?
My sister Carrie choked on a piece of barbed grass when she was about 2...weeks later it had made it's way through her throat muscle...and popped out of the skin on the side of her neck. When my mom pulled it out, it was about 3 inches long. Apparently this happens to cows all the time.
Sorry to hear about your woes. Next time drop Finley off instead of packing her to the ER too!
Holy Cow! I am so glad that all is well! Chad, you and your Eagle really saved the day.
In my defense (if such a comment can even be defended) that was taken out of context. Isn't that the line I'm supposed to use?
Hey Chad -
I stumbled on to your blog. Glad to see you are doing well (Generally, not based on this specific post per se). But I'm glad it all worked out.
Resh
How scary!! I've had to call the poison control once for Mikaila drinking ear cleaner. Sneaky kids they definitely keep it interesting!
Funny...troy used that line on our wedding night. You're lucky chad has reserved his eagle scout knowledge for emergencies only!
Oh, I am so sorry! It seems like that experience was a nightmare! I wonder how he ate a pine needle. He must have been in so much pain! We are so glad that he is feeling better.
I wonder what I will say in those situations, I only made it to my first class... Does that make me somewhat credible. Glad to hear Tucky tucka is as strong as his name.
We love reading your blog. It's fun for us to read about your daily adventures. More fun to read about than have happen. Glad all is well. Time to quit feeding the kids those home made "granola" snacks. Love ya, Dad and Ginny
How scary. I am so glad that everything turned out okay!
You guys have been super busy this week. And you're right, ingesting windex, not a big deal. Not sure why. Oh, and if you want to practice taking baby pics I'll lend you mine anytime!
OH my heavens how are you nerves? I am glad everything is okay. These kids sure take us on quite the rollercoaster rides. Fin sounds like an awesome protective sister. Thank goodness you had an eagle scout on hand.
i am laughing so hard... not that you had to do the er nightmare.. or the 911 call that brings that amazing firetruck to your house... but all the end quotes. so great. i sure wish troy had been an eagle scout. i guess the only props i can give him is thanks to his medical knowledge i have been saved from about a dozen trips to the er... and so have the rest of the ward who all call him as the 911. fun.
Post a Comment