Thursday, August 7, 2008

Great-grandparents

The second week in July I was asked to speak in Church on Sunday. The topic assigned was; Our Pioneer Heritage, Faith in adversity. I thought it would be a great opportunity to learn a little bit about my own pioneer heritage. Who better to call than my Grandma. She has a collection of stories, photos and family history to fill a library.

So on Monday I called and asked for some help. Her response was most unexpected. "I have a whole talk already written on Our Pioneer Heritage. I'll email it to you... and would you like us to come and see you give it?" Are you serious! I've been asking them to come visit us for years. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Two days later they packed there bags and drove the 17 hour trek to our home.

We had so much fun with them. We took them to pick raspberries and then learned how to make jam. We ate the most delicious fish and chips and walked threw Portland's Rose Gardens. We traveled out to the coast and picnicked at Cannon Beach. We barbecued and talked late into the nights about life when they were young.



Baggenstos Farm picking raspberries.
Thank goodness Finley has the attention span of a knat
she picked every berry she saw red or not.

They have been some of my favorite visitors. I will treasure the memory of a 17 hour drive, their sacrifice and the way they made me feel like the most important person around.

3 comments:

jwil said...

That is seriously so sweet of them to come out and see you! What a memory! Your family is awesome that way!

Abi said...

that comment is really me!

Abi said...

that comment is really me!