Friday, February 8, 2008

21 months old


I love watching Finley as she develops her independence. She's become my little free thinking radical. I've been reading The Happiest Toddler on the Block, and have been working hard lately to: "Replace labels that tear (her) down with descriptions that build (her) up."

Labels that Hinder/ Descriptions that Help
Nosy/Curious
Picky eater/Knows what she wants
Wild/ Energetic
Stubborn/ Tenacious
Fussy/ Selective

Chad told me that one of the traits he loved about his mother was her ability to promote a positive self esteem in her children. I loved that! Dixie was such an amazing woman and mother. I've realized in my own limited experience as a mother that the more positive and patient I am with Finley the better listener she is. Duh!!! That's probably a no brainer for most parents. But it isn't always as easy as they make it sound in all those parenting for dummies books that I've been reading.

There really are so many joys of motherhood. Finley made us laugh so hard on Sunday when I caught her all "Dressed Up". She was wearing my winter hat and a pair of Tuckers teeny tiny socks and was reading her favorite book upside down. It was a great night we danced to some Yo gabba gabba I found on Youtube and were surprised with a darling cake made by the Laurels in our ward.

5 comments:

ali said...

i love that she had on tucker's socks. how funny.

The Ringleader said...

Finley is adorable!!
Oh if you could see my nightstand. It is stacked with parenting books. Parenting is such an experiment and my poor kids are the guinea pigs. I agree with you on the patience thing. It seems so obvious, but at the end of the day negotiations with little people can be so challenging. You totally have to put your game face on. I am going to check out the book you are reading. I can always use good advice.
P.S. I tagged you. Don't feel any pressure.

Amy Gelwix said...

I'm just impressed she can put socks on by herself! Lucy's always end up twisted and crazy....after she takes five minutes to even get them on. Finley is beautiful, and this is a great time to see them growing.

A said...

Amy where did you get your high contrast book that Finley is looking at. We are totally looking for something just like that to stimulate our girls? Thanks!

Bethany and Cameron said...

Oh, your kids are beautiful! And you take such great pics!:) Hopefully one day we'll be able to all see each other again! Oh yea, and I tagged you! Check out my blog to see!