On Tuesday we went to Target. As we were strolling down one of the aisles we passed by a black man (there are very few in Utah) and this is what proceeded to come out of Finley's mouth.
Mom that man is black, he is so black. Mom, I don't like black skin. I only like white skin.
Oh boy, did she really just say that...even worse did that man really just hear her say that. Yes he did.
I was not clever enough to come up with some quick little comment to diffuse the tension building in aisle 3. I just booked it around the corner took a deep breath and asked her some more questions.
We talked about skin color and that people come in all different colors. We pointed to various models we found on packaging. We talked about being nice to every one no matter what they looked like. The first thing she said after our little chat was, " I don't like my skin, it's just skin colored. I don't like skin colored skin. I just like pink skin, and not black skin either."
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
I like pink skin
Posted by
Amy
at
3/10/2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
what do my eyes behold? a new blog post!
Jack has made similar comments before. very embarrassing! Luckily she's so cute, she can get away with small bouts of racism.
I'm with Ali! Holy crap it's been awhile.
We watch a lot of the Disney channel. There's lots of different kids with different ethnic backgrounds. And pathetically that is all I'm falling back on.
Remember when were at the zoo and Holden popped off in passing about that extremely obese woman? Whoa that woman was fat. She's the fattest person I've ever seen. How'd she get so fat? And on and on.
That is so funny! She should come out to VA. She'll see black people everywhere and maybe a few people with pink skin :)
Kids say the darndest things... I am glad you are blogging about them. Love you Finley and Tuck xoxo
That is tooooo funny! The things kids say!
Post a Comment