Friday, December 5, 2008

Oh my aching back...

Chad had to work and I couldn't go treeless for one more day so I loaded up the kids, hit McD's, cranked the Christmas music and headed off in search of the Tree of My Dreams. After the 4th farm we stopped at I decided there is no such thing as the Tree of my Dreams but... The Tree of my Budget instead. Who would have guessed chopping down your own tree in the Land O' Trees could be so pricey?!?


This was the 1st farm we stopped at but the trees were all too perfect so we left.

How hard could it be to chop down a Christmas tree... on my own with the two little tykes... Well lets just say it has been 2 1/2 days and the majority of the muscles in my body are still aching.


She loved running through the forest of trees yelling, "chase me Tucka... chase me".

I can't get over (and hopefully never will) the breathtaking, rustic beauty of Oregon!!! I have friends that ask me all the time, "When is the best time of year to come up to visit?" I say any time except for maybe January-March then we'll come visit you and take a break from all the rain.

Here were some of the sites along the way.


OK back to the story. We stopped at this hidden farm owned by a really old Scandinavian couple (I'm talking really old the owner was in his late 80's, 90's...he might have even been a100). With Tuck strapped into the pack on my back we hiked down the hillside to cut our tree. Finding the Perfect Tree was a cinch here. No matter how big or small every tree was $30. We found one and I started sawing away. I kept sawing, and sawing, and sweating, and sawing. After about 10 minutes I took Tuck off my back and wedged the pack into the muddy slope and called Chad. Completely out of breath I complained, "Why did I have to get this tree today, without you, I can't cut this, it's too hard, how did the pioneers do this, I need help....." .

Ten more minutes of sawing, kicking, pushing and a loud and large Crack Crack, Crack up the middle of the tree trunk the noble was on its side. I heard a, "good job mommy" from my little 3 ft cheerleader. Now I just had to drag the once 10 ft. now 8 1/2 foot tree and 2 toddlers back up the hillside and hoist (with the help of an ancient little Scandinavian) this awkward and incredibly sticky tree onto the top of our Cruiser. Note to self: Fun tradition, but next year don't leave home without Chad.

Luckily the farm owner hooked up his tractor and came to my rescue.
We loaded it into the back and he hauled us to the barn.


***Finishing touches***
Our little girl gets carsick. As we pulled into the driveway she groaned and then lost "it" all over her car seat.

10 comments:

Joseph and Virginia Cannon said...

We love seeing all of your adventures. The tree will never be forgotten and will be appreciated more each time you look at it. Sounds like the kids got a kick out of the whole thing, too. Looks like your tree would fill half of our place, so enjoy some of it for us. We miss seeing you for Christmas. Fröhliche Weihnachten. Papa Joe and Grandma Ginny

Sheri said...

Amy,

Next time do what I did. Without Scott!

Go to Lowes
Find Trees
Take Jack thru store to the bathroom
Pick out tree
Have man cut bottom off
Pay $25 for 7 Foot tree
Wrap it up
Move car to front of store
Man puts tree on top
I tie it to the roof
Take crazy 3 kids home.

You were crazy! Hope you had fun!!

Abi said...

Wow! You are amazing!!!

Amy said...

Sheri- Minus the puking and the minor melt 1/2 way through the tree cutting, it was the most fun we've had this month! I highly recommend it!

Mandy said...

You are insane! I totally commend you! To say the least you got some great pictures along the way.

Roney Family said...

Sounds like you had a fun time getting your tree, I am so sorry about Finley. What a bummer, and more of a bummer for you. That is the worst thing to clean up. Your tree looks great! You go girl for doing it yourself. I did the same time. Except I pick mine up from the storage unit!

ali said...

no wonder you haven't called back. You probably can't lift your arm to pick up the phone!

I have three words for you. Costco. Pre-lit. Tree.

Course then you would have missed out on all that amazing, breathtaking scenery! I just really love Oregon. So jealous. so jealous.

The Ringleader said...

It's official- you are super mom. Doesn't it amaze you the things we think we can do while juggling little people. Your tree is beautiful! Next time stretch first. j/k

Ashley Shepherd said...

You must be losing it! I would have waited for Chad, to not have to go through all the trouble. Better luck next time

Ash

The Cannonballs said...

Love the story of 2008's Cannon Christmas tree. I have cut a tree once in college. The tree looked so much smaller in the forest than when we tried to push it through our apartment door. We had to cut the tree in half to make it fit. It was an adventure. I am sure you will never forget yours as well. Merry Christmas