Monday, November 10, 2008

Our past


Just finished watching this. Loved it. Made me want to get smarter.

Seriously. The manner in which people spoke to one another, their written correspondence, the way they conducted themselves in public and in private, how refined and almost poetic at times. I told Chad that I wanted him to hand write me a weekly letter. I made him read me entry after wikipedia entry about our founding fathers. I think that we are missing out on the beauty and insight that a written letter reveals.

4 comments:

abby o said...

oh my word, Andy and I just finished this last week...it was fantastic! I learned SO much too...great thing to watch right before election...I'm proud to be an American. Whenever I watch Jane Austen movies I think that too...why can't we all be that witty and smart all the time? I know, because then I could never leave my house for shame.

Amy said...

so true, me too.

Steph said...

I love this show! I tell Ben all of the time that I think I was born in the wrong era! I agree with you about the beauty of how they used to speak back in those days! Man we have dumbed things up now haven't we!!!

Tracy said...

I agree. That reminds me of one of my pet peeves. It's the whole abbreviating of sentences for texting or blogging purposes. For example: "LOL" otherwise known as "laughing out loud". What if that's not specifically what I want to say? Is it worth it to sacrifice clarity for convenience? I say no.