Friday, November 7, 2008

Frugal Friday: Necessity

I hate eating leftovers. Instead of fixing it when it's broken or wearing something out, I like to buy things new. Doing without is an exception to the rule and unfortunately not the rule I follow. Time has come to reinvent my way of living. Becoming a bi-product of my spending habits is starting to haunt me. I want to live more providently.

Farm Security Administration: Destitute pea pickers in California.
Mother of seven children. (Circa February 1936)


Money or lack of it has been a hot topic throughout history. On Saturday I read in Newsweek about Depression 2.0 and the state of our nation. I have listened to talks given by Church leaders about the need to live within our means. I pass by billboards along the freeway and hear slogans like "Act your wage" and "If in debt the only reason you should be going to a restaurant is if you are going there to work." (thank you Dave Ramsey)

Talking to a wise old owl this afternoon I was encouraged to create something worthwhile out of our situation. So here it is, as the saying goes, "Necessity is the mother of invention". This site (click here) will document my journey as I become
A Mother of Invention
out of desire to better my financial future. I will be posting all of the advise and creative ideas that I come across, (perhaps even an invention or two of my own) as I organize my life. I'd love to read about your successes and of things you've tried in order to save a dime or help you live within your means. You can email me at: amotherofinvention{at}gmail{dot}com or post a comment on the blog. With your permission I will publish your tips so that we can all benefit.

Peek in on my progress and see how it goes. The added pressure of you watching will spur me on. So let the good times roll.

**Side note. Don't start sending us cans of powdered milk. We are not destitute or bankrupt yet!**

10 comments:

ali said...

way to go! We just revamped our budget last night! it's the cool thing to do!

merideth said...

thanks amy for the advice below and i am excited for this new venture of yours. we all need to learn about this. can't wait for your ideas and hopefully i will come up with some too.

Jenny said...

Love that photo by Dorthea Lange. Say what you will about the great depression, there were some awesome photographers that came about during that time.

Jenny said...

Love that photo by Dorthea Lange. Say what you will about the great depression, there were some awesome photographers that came about during that time.

Jenny said...

Not sure why that posted twice, sorry, it won't let me delete it either.

The Cannonballs said...

Good for you!! A huge weight is lifted from my shoulders every time I pay something totally off. Security and Peace of mind is worth every monetary sacrifice!! We all need to be better!! Thanks for being brave!

Katie said...

Thanks Amy I too have the hardest time and am really trying to modivate myself, however I trip daily. Like the Nordstrom sale going on etc etc. However you reminded me that I am not alone on this lets work on this together.

Amy Gelwix said...

Glad to know you are feeling this too! I made pot roast on Sunday and ate it through Thursday. Larry gave up and had cereal, but I am through throwing away edible food, and I am tired of continually buying. And as tired as I am of pot roast at the moment, I feel do feel more empowered, like I am being proactive rather than reactive with our finances. Funny that this hit us the same week!

Scott-n-Allison said...

I guess we're all in this together, eh? Let's compare notes!

Sara Decker said...

What a good idea...I can't wait to see your updates, i will for sure need them!