Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Miss you Mom...

Sept 10, 2001 (yes, the day before the terrorist attacks) my Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
Sept 10, 2002 (one year to the day later) my Mom lost that hard-fought battle.

Here we are 6 years later... Since that date I have: graduated from college, gotten married, had 2 kids (Tuck's middle name, McKean, is the same as mine and is my Mom's maiden name) and lived in 2 different states, many miles from family. We've missed you terribly throughout all this but find comfort in our testimonies of the Lord's gospel. Thank you for your great faith and wonderful example. At your funeral it was said a few times that you wanted to give everyone with whom you came in contact a positive self-image and fun memories. Thank you for both.

There are signs of you everywhere we turn: Finley's resemblance to you in that childhood picture with Aunt Karen below, the "whimzical" furniture that decorates our house, when we lived in CA we constantly passed the "Blue Lagoon" in Laguna Beach where we vacationed as a family and where you had your last vacation with Dad, running into your childhood friends who now live in OR. Your bigger-than-life personality continues to impact our lives today. We miss not being able to pick up the phone and talk or have our kids get squished by one of Grandma Dixie's bear hugs but I do hope that your influence on me will be passed on to them. We butted heads back when I was a teenager but you stuck with me though I probably didn't deserve it... actually, I'm pretty sure I deserved a swift kick in butt. Thank you for believing in me and seeing through the ridiculous teenage attitude. I love you Mom and miss you.

9 comments:

Angi said...

I really miss her too.

ali said...

tears. thanks a lot chad.

what a sweet post.

Katie said...

It is strange to think how much they were apart of our lives, yet how much they are missing- and will miss the biggest parts of our lives.. meeting our children, grand children etc.

So thank you for posting this great tribute to remind us they are close they really are and will still live on in us or our children. I love that we can get reminders of them in round about ways. Love you guys

ali said...

sorry, I forgot to say that I can't believe how similar fin looks like your mom! amazing photo!

Scott-n-Allison said...

That was wonderful...thank you!

The Ringleader said...

I am teary. What a beautiful tribute to your mom. She was such an amazing woman! She had so much spunk and love. It sounds like those wonderful qualities are being passed down through your kids. Thanks for sharing!

The Cannonballs said...

Chad, it is good to hear your thoughts on Dixie. I couldn't help put cry. I miss her sooo much. Especially as I am ready to deliver our first Cannon boy. You couldn't help but feel you were somebody when you were around her. Her advice comes to my mind everyday. After looking at your pictures and thoughts, it inspired Garth to do the same on our blog. Thanks and we love you!!

Roney Family said...

Wow, that is crazy. I love all those pictures of your m other. She is beautiful and looked like she lived a happy life. She seems strong. How lucky that your family has someone watching over you and your family!!!

The Cannonballs said...

i miss her soo much. im lucky to be the only cannon kid to see he. she was soo much fun. i remember nothing but i get stories about her on my b-day.

bryn