Monday, August 17, 2009

the fact of the matter

Did anyone read that last post? I must have been having a really great day, 'cause today I'm singing a different tune. I still adore my children, that has not changed. The fact of the matter is, the last couple of days I have been run ragged by their mess making and incessant fighting.

I am shocked with how much they fight.



Being the oldest of 7 I grew up surrounded by an absurd amount of fighting and chaos. But they are so young!!!!

This little guy, as sweet as he looks, packs one mean punch and he doesn't stop there. He is a notorious hair puller, arm pincher, face scratching, mouth biting son of a gun. I really do not know what to do with him. He has spent a total of 17 minutes in time out today (a min. per each offense).

Enlighten me with new discipline methods because mine have fallen on deaf ears.

10 comments:

abby o said...

hee hee hee, I have to say I relate to this post more often than the last one. I'll be watching the comments cause I've got a fireball too, and he is totally impervious to all forms of discipline I have tried. My latest idea is just to get a padded room where he can live by himself for a while. It's price prohibitive but nothing else has worked...

Katie said...

Lol!! Ok so I watch two kids once a week & Will had a week where he was being really agressive & time out he would laugh at me so the next offense I put him in a cold shower for a second, I tell you what it sounds horrible but he has yet to hurt her again!!! Good luck

Jenny said...

Just beat him. With a stick. Not really. I don't know what to tell you other than stop at two. It only gets worse.

Jessica said...

Ohhhh, I feel your pain. And I love that you put it out there. I wish I knew some tricks. My kids have been fighting like crazy too. These last 2 days have been horrifying. What gives??

Chelsea Cannon said...

Sounds exactly like Chad. I was the older one in the mix, but to this day he knows just were to hit me and give me a dead leg. They never grow out of it.

Molly Koch said...

any secrets you learn, send them to me. mine fight over everything and nothing. It drives me batty. within seconds of me turning around there is going to be crying b/c someone hurt someone or called them a "stupid butt" (our naughty term of the moment). and both of mine are aggressive. they will both be crying b/c someone bit, hit or threw. For me the more I am away from the house, the less they fight. they get along so much better at the park, beach, pool, getting ice cream- anything that is not home. and for punishment- we do toooonss of timeout. and if they are fighting over a toy- it goes in timeout. sometimes they hate that more than timeout. Braden shreds his room while in timeout, which earns him more timeout. we also have a rewards chart. when they are doing good or i catch them doing good they can put a sticker up on their chart to earn things. I have it cash out at the end of everyday so they get the instant rewards. and simple rewards, a candy or a popcycle. to pick the show to watch after bath etc. i have also done a money jar where if i catch them being good they can put a money in their jar they decorated and "buy" something with their money at the end of the day. heee hhee- good luck. it just gets worse. and really i need some suggestions...

ali said...

lock em up with mine and let's go to lunch!

Newmans said...

I've heard of the cold shower trick, but that's more work for the mom. A squirt bottle does wonders for my sister's little boy. She squirts him in the face in place of time-out and usually works pretty well. He is terrified of the squirt bottle now!

The Ringleader said...

Well it must be an epidemic, because we have had some serious WWF action at our house. I look forward to reading your posts for inspiration. Just know you are not alone. Hopefully school and more of a routine in Fall will slow down the fighting. TOO much togetherness can be TOO much togetherness!

Roney Family said...

I am laughing so hard at these things that you guys do. A squirt bottle. Think about the kid that grows up and says, my mom squirt me with a squirt bottle. That is hilarious. Amy, having five kids and being a mother for almost 13 years, I have tried and tried so many things. But I have come up with a new defense from my back pocket. Well, a friend told me about it. In our house its called Sassy sauce, Naughty sauce, hitting sauce, bitting sauce, you name the offense and that is what the sauce is. Its called tobasco sauce. You can keep a little one in your purse. I give my child one warning. Do you want naughty sauce? Then if they do it again. I put them in time out with naughty sauce on there tongue, then after about a minute or two, I will allow them to say there sorry, then I give them some water. My kids hate the sauce. Some people might say its cruel, but hey, I am not harming them in any way, its not messy, and I am not going to tolerate it. Good luck.